"You are so creative!" I have heard that phrase constantly since I was little. DIY, Refashioning, Crafting, Sewing, Woodworking. I love it all! Now I have a place to keep my favorite projects or ideas organized and share them with you!



Monday, October 18, 2010

Almost free, Fall Tree.

Photobucket

I saw this idea on a project sharing blog, and knew right away I wanted to do it.

For one I LOVE almost free projects. Second it is super quick and easy, minus my paint drying time.

The whole idea came about because a certain paint company used to make it's paint samples in a leaf shape like the project was here.

Now you are maybe wondering why I chose the colors I chose. Honestly have you ever seen a tree with all these colors in it at once?? Sounds far fetched huh? Well actually this is one of our trees this year. Happens to have the same colors. So I made my tree match this one since it was so bright this year.

Photobucket

Unfortunately our Home Depot does not carry the samples that look like that, our paint samples for that paint company are now square. Yet I liked the project so much I didn't let that stop me. Although I do think it would be much cooler if it were the leaf shaped paint samples, I had to cut my leaf shapes out of these Martha Stewart Samples also found at Home Depot.

Photobucket

I had this board in the scrap wood pile in the basement. I really liked the layered texture of the particle board, it even reminds me of fall.

Photobucket

The original project the creator used a sharpie marker to draw the tress. I really think that the sharpie would be about dead by the time I finished my tree since it is a bit larger I believe so I went with the paint option instead because well, I have plenty of that. Then I sprayed a layer of clear acrylic spray paint to seal the black paint. This was just my choice.

Photobucket

Then I cut my leaves out of the Martha Stewart Paint samples. I got two leaves out of each sample, and piled a four samples up so I was cutting more at once. It didn't take long at all to be honest. Then dry fitted them onto the board. Then I went back with a glue gun and glued them in place.

Photobucket

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Cute, Kara! We were just at HD...and got some leaf-shaped paint chips, so even easier! We might modify it some and use it as our "Thanksgiving Tree" that we start November 1. You just saved me hassle that might have made me lazily not do a favorite tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO way jennifer. I swear I was in HD last night and did not see a single leaf shaped paint chip. I am so bummed right now. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for trying out my project. So easy right? I like how you added purple, sadly I didn't snag any purple paint chips when I went. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete