"You are so creative!" I have heard that phrase constantly since I was little. DIY, Refashioning, Crafting, Sewing, Woodworking. I love it all! Now I have a place to keep my favorite projects or ideas organized and share them with you!



Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Recycle! DIY Shrinky Dink!

Well it is the first day of Christmas Vacation and for the first time in a long time I am home with all three of my kids.

I was trying to come up with ideas of things I wanted to do with them, like many of you out there, and I had a nice little list that involved baking, (but I knew I would just eat too many cookies if we did) I had a list planned out, but just like I always end up doing, we got distracted by a random craft project opportunity and we wanted to share it with you.

We were lucky this week when dad brought doughnut holes home from the store bakery for breakfast. They came in this nice little plastic container. I was just about to pop it in the recycle bin when I remembered I was throwing away free shrinky dink.

Photobucket

Yep that's right this stuff is just the same stuff as shrinky dink!

So we cut out some larger flat pieces...

Photobucket


Colored them with Sharpie markers, (with supervision of course)

Photobucket

This is how big they were before we shrunk them.

Photobucket

Then we popped them in 350 degree toaster oven and watch the magic happen.

Photobucket

Photobucket

After they shrink we took them out and tapped them flat with some cardboard.
This is the after product.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hope you have a chance to try it out!

Linked up here:

3 comments:

  1. Kara-

    What # of plastic is that? I can't believe it's the same! As a kid of the 80s...this is on my to-do list with my sons...

    BTW, if you have a chance, please link this up to Creative Juice Thursday. Too cute not to share.

    (and I <3 your button with the etchasketch)

    Nicolette
    http://momnivoresdilemma.blogspot.com/2010/12/creative-juice-thursday-5-features-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe it is #6 plastic, but it has been a while since I looked at the number.

    ReplyDelete